CH.33 Insight Colleges Four Year Prospectus (Nov. 2033)
Serializing Awakening the Inner Teacher: Insight Experiential Colleges. How Women In Congress re-invented liberal arts colleges.
After Women’s Summer Conference 2033, from multiple directions, New Colleges, drew greater public attention and scrutiny. The War Room was afraid an outline of the four-year curriculum could leak to the press. It asked the Writers room to compose and send up a DRAFT four-year curriculum outline for evaluation as a press release to all media. What emerged was even more useful, a New Colleges Prospectus.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Make the world more wonderful, by conveying to on-going generations, the values of Team Human; and, the full array of Best Practices, in all majors, workable-sustainable, for the 99% of all crew on Spaceship Earth. Yes, we can re-make the world thru re-making colleges.
Make the world more wonderful by demonstrating to all colleges-universities world-wide, what a four-year liberal arts college education can be, when the following are converged: Best Practices in:
- interactive teaching methods,
- practicing-conveying interpersonal competency,
- independent-critical thinking instruction; and
- using your own voice in the public sphere.
1) CREATE a new four year liberal arts curriculum, on five pilot campuses, highlighting Best Practices in each core subject: Sports, Communications (psychology, counseling, sociology), History; and, Philosophy of Science,
2) RESTORE liberal arts colleges as places where Cultural Creative young adults — especially women — have opportunity to meet each other, exchange contact information; and, recruit each other to growing networks of schools, counseling-consulting, worker-owned-and-operated businesses and non-governmental orgs,
3) TRANSFORM the four year liberal arts college experience for 18–25 year olds, from a “paper chase” and “introduction to Patriarchy” to a “curriculum for life” as crew of SpaceShip Earth. Include how to organize your Inner Game of Life, into a more stable foundation and home-base; for, playing in the Outer Game of Life, future careers and relationships,
4) TRANSFORM INSTRUCTIONAL METHODS away form 12th century Scholastic talking heads. Use up to 50% of each classroom period to practice self-enquiry, self-evaluation, partner exercises, peer review, quality work product discussions. EMPHASIZE team skills of connection, cooperation, collaboration and leadership,
5) Teach how “freedom” is neither “free” nor passive. DISCUSS how freedom is tied to social obligation at the level of the individual, the neighborhood, the city, the state and nationally. Sustainable freedom is always accompanied by individual rights, responsibilities, obligations and accountability for all citizens; briefly, to keep in mind the highest good of all concerned, for the next seven generations,
6) To impart-convey to students significance of both internal feelings-intuition; and, accessing, organizing and processing of external information, towards healthy decision-making. DEMONSTRATE how to subjectively MEASURE how close to a 50/50 balance exists,
7) Within and between faculty and admin, TRANSFORM ADULT RELATIONS. We wish faculty and admin to MODEL for students behaviors aligned with the human values taught in class.
8) Create a core course, Philosophy of Science, to convey the Three Orders of Goethean Holistic Science.
9) HAVE FUN. Keep everyone involved, everyone learning, according to interests and capacity of each one.
Our primary product is our graduates. Graduates will:
- Be able to competently compose and produce three-part thesis papers, articles, journals, speeches, reflections,
- Be able to work effectively within a team; or, leading a team,
- Be self-propelled problem-solvers, Cultural Creatives; who in turn, will invent new social forms, as new generations call for these.
INCREASE the number of citizen-voters who can independently evaluate which local current candidates and propositions support the highest good for SpaceShip Earth, for the next seven generations.
-=+ -=+ -=+
Our secondary product is a four-year curriculum…
New Colleges curriculum outline
Freshman Year ~ Since many freshmen have already read the Frankensteins Your Parents Made book series, in middle and high school [discussed in the HIST section when we come to it], acknowledge this pain; turn it into teachable lessons.
Introduce learners to the concept of a healthy chooser Self; and, healthy self-leadership (from IFS). Emphasize a positive, invisible, internal reference point, learners can always find, an authentic internal upright — however individually identified and defined.
- Check our outdated cultural role models at the door, gender myth-stereotypes of Marilyn Monroe and Sherlock Holmes. How are they active in and around you today?
- A large fraction of all assigned papers are delivered orally in front of a classroom of peers for comment and evaluation (see Wm. Glasser’s Quality Discussions).
End of year: First drafts of student’s writing portfolio of essays, videos of self, and other materials required for Senior year graduation.
Sophomore Year ~ Year of most intensive classroom interaction: interactive, scripted sequences of exercises, games, puzzles, skits, improv exercises, in all core courses. Even if learners leave after only two years, they have been exposed to Best Practices in group process for learning and relationships, for a lifetime.
Intro to Fatherlessness. Your Healthy Chooser Self as antidote. How to access Self-leadership given the sadness, pain or discomfort of the present moment.
In History and Communications, the questions, wise elders of every race asked themselves; and, asked each other, are the subject of several dozen classroom interaction periods, students asking each other these same questions.
End of year: Second drafts of your portfolio of essays, videos and other materials for Senior graduation.
-=+ -=+ -=+
In Junior and Senior years, for those learners interested, an Empathy In Action Intern certificate program track is offered. This is a pre-req for graduate studies and employment at Experiential Insight Colleges, among many other social service and consulting job career paths.
This track most resembles the old, two-year Marriage-Family-Therapist (MFT) track, leading to an intern-license-certificate. Different here, group process facilitation skills are practiced hands-on and in-depth. Solution-Focussed Brief Therapy is practiced in triads.
This track also resembles the old, two-year MBA program. The major difference is a focus on people skills, for managing any kind of business: worker-owned, family-owned, NGOs; or, in corporate settings. We expect this intern certificate to become the most valuable training available for employment as a K-12 teacher, college teacher, nurse or health practitioner.
-=+ -=+ -=+
Junior Year ~ Intro to personal shadow parts. Sherlock Holmes’ shadow: Moriarty. Marilyn Monroe’s multiple shadow expressions.
Shadow parts as as “shameful internal parts.” Fatherlessness revisited in the light of the personal shadow
The shadow side of conventional science: Dr. Frankenstein’s errors. Conventional science 1850–2024 as primarily 100% shadow science. Antidote: Goethean Holistic Science.
Under Patriarchy, when Wall Street and the marketplace was God, its shadow: Male Mafia Mentality.
Iain McGilchrist’s view of brain laterialization from stroke research (See: “RSA ANIMATE: The Divided Brain” — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFs9WO2B8uI
How our Sherlock Holmes capacity, used one-sidedly, corrupts into the male shadow; and, into Male Mafia behavior. The band called “Thievery Corporation.” Dr. Frankenstein’s playbook. The endgame: Goethean Holistic Science, the Three Sciences We Use Every Day (2014, 2022).
For those interested, first year of two-year Empathy In Action Intern Certificate Program.
Third — and for some final — drafts of your portfolio of essays for Senior year graduation.
Senior Year ~ For those interested, second year of two-year Empathy In Action Intern Certificate program. Field internships and apprenticeships. Rumi: “Beyond right and wrong there is a field; I’ll meet you there.” Whole-brainedness as the endgame beyond Male Mafia Mentality. whole-brainedness as using “both hands” equally. Gut-brain~head-brain. Three levels of the Microbiome. Richard Power: The Overstory 2019 Pulitzer Prize winner.
Beyond mafia Mentality is whole-brainedness (“both hands”). Fourth and final draft for those who want or need it, of your portfolio of essays for Senior year graduation.
For those interested, second year of two-year Empathy In Action Intern Certificate Program. For those who need it, final drafts of your portfolio of essays, videos for Senior year graduation.
End of four-year curriculum overview.
Other features of Experiential Insight Colleges
Philosophy of science transformed
See Goethean Holistic Science, the Three Sciences We Use Every Day (2014, 2022). Seminar discussion, writing assignments, public delivery of papers.
A mixture of mandatory and elective classes
The first two years of all core college courses was mandated for all students. If grades are high enuf, more flexibility is permitted for junior and senior years to accommodate work-related training and apprenticeships.
For those wishing to become:
- New College instructors or admins,
- K-12 teachers, and
- licensed counselors, social workers, therapists in all fields…
…the two upper division years of core courses are mandatory. Upper division core courses are elective for all other students.
Not so different after all
While radical in many respects, much of the structure of our program for “awakening the inner teacher” will seem familiar to many students and parents:
- A four year curriculum in four core fields,
- Only the first two years of each core courses are mandated for all students,
- Junior and senior core courses are only mandatory for teacher track and counseling professionals, licensed and only certificated,
- Junior and senior years make room for work-related training and apprenticeships,
- Student demand can create additional upper division elective courses, and
- Science, technology, engineering and math, (STEM) courses are LEAST affected by our transformations. The main transformation needed in the STEM area is the teaching of Goethean Holistic Science in a new Philosophy of Technology course.
Next, our Plan for opening five New Colleges pilot campuses.
Five pilot campuses to open Fall 2035
Our plan is to:
- In Fall, 2035, open five pilot campuses for a freshman year. No campus closer than 60 miles from any other campus. Each campus to feature transformed core courses, transformed classroom instructions methods; and, transformed faculty and administrative interpersonal process.
Considerable preparation and planning is needed for this effort. Re-writing of curriculum, textbooks and teaching methods is already well under weigh.
A process for site selection will be implemented. A massive effort to hire and train interns begins soon. Interns will research and identifying suitable potential candidate communities and campuses where pilot program colleges could be instituted. We hope to find most interns thru the Paid Year of National Service Program. Interns will be tasked with the labor of:
1) Contacting each State Secondary Education Board, invite them to tell us which colleges are most in need of investment. Interns will compile a list of the 100 most precarious colleges.
2) As needed to address all questions and concerns, interns will visit in person as required. Interns will conduct local, public town hall listening events; and, hands-on sample classroom experiences.
3) Interns will expand the existing website, set up and staff a Public Relations office. Interns will make Experiential Insight Colleges into a known, familiar, safe and trusted “brand” in as many education markets as possible.
3) As candidate communities narrow to a final 12; then, a final 5, interns will host additional public town hall listening events to answer questions; and, promote the spirit and vision of New Colleges.
In this way, most legwork, data collection, and local visits can hopefully be delegated to interns with a few adult chaperones.
Eventually narrow candidate campuses down to 12. Then task each community with coming up with 33% of start-up costs so each community has “skin in the game.” This results in a final five campuses we will begin to renovate as needed.
Interested colleges and communities may contact us now.
END OF PROSPECTUS
-=+ -=+ -=+
The War Room liked the Prospectus. They suggested making it into two documents, the above overview; and, a second document, FAQS for parents and students. This follows in the next Chapter.